Friday, October 26, 2007

Little Victories

I guess I should start by saying that I write for a living - sorta. My occupation is in marketing & communications. I used to really like what I did from nine to five. It was creative enough and paid the bills. But it's not ambitious enough for me anymore. Only about a quarter of my brain is ever really engaged at one time. And, frankly, if more of me were engaged in what was happening around me, I'd probably want to slit my throat with a dull instrument and, while I was bleeding out, I'd start on my wrists.

I always wanted to work for Corporate America... and now I do.

But today I experienced a minor victory, one that I am trying to keep to myself lest some Corporate Jockey ride by and take a squat on it. I submitted copy that was accepted with very minor revision. Usually, I experience someone or groups of someone rewriting my copy or asking me to rewrite the copy because a) they didn't provide all the project details up front, b) they want to change the direction of the copy because they've changed their minds or remembered something that wasn't communicated to me c) they hate their job and secretly want to be a writer (this is one of my faves) or d) they're just schizo!

So ~ minor vicotry on Project #1. Rewriting Pojects 2,3 and 4.

I also managed to write on my WIP while I as on business travel. I didn't log a ton of words but I was happy with the writing and pleased that I used my scant free time wisely. Oh, and I wisely used some not-so-free time as well. One of my sessions was super dull so I wrote 1,200 words long-hand and transcribed them later in my shared hotel room.

No comments: