Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Organic Girl Eschews Plan!

I've been thinking about my writing style -- not the style of my writing but rather, the way that I approach writing. While I'd like to say that I am 100% "on it" every day, I'm more like a 'do everything else then write' kinda gal. I want to change that.

So, toward that end, I joined an accountability group where I am supposed to report my accomplishments or lack-of, each month. But I'm finding that a hardcore procrastinator like myself needs way more frequent check-ins. So, I'm not sure that I should re-up for this next group.

So now for some public accounting of what I did accomplish: month 1 - met goal. Month 2 - did not meet goal. Month 3 - did not meet goal. Ouch! I owe some people some money.

I've read some writers describe their work as more "organic" in terms of approach and planning. That sounds charitable and forgiving. Too much so? It appeals to my lazy, unaccountable self though and I want that label.

I claim it. I own it.

To be honest, I have each chapter of my book fully outlined and a synopsis written of each chapter... blah, blah. And I am more or less still following the plan. It's just the rebel in me I 'spose. I just don't like plans, er, um sticking to them.

I've changed direction a couple of times on this project when I thought change would really benefit the work. Only time will tell but I'm happy when I hit these forks in the road of my boring ol' plan!

No comments: