Friday, August 22, 2008

Odds and Ends and Thoughts

I cracked open my wallet and bought a new book instead of sticking to my TBR pile. Well, I bought the book a couple of months ago before I was really committed to tearing through my TBR. I bought the book because it was a new novel by one of my favorite romance authors.

I discovered this authors books when I was about 13 years old in a box of books my mother's best friend gave to her. The cover was purple and embossed and shiny with a dashing rogue and a striking heroine on the cover. The title was in gold, scipty, serify font ~ like ice cream for a teenage mind. I'll never forget this book. I've since replaced that copy with a newer version so I could have it for posterity.

Well... so I'm reading the book... and I'm not loving it. Truth be told, this is the second time that I feel like I've been left at the altar by this author's most recent work. I'm so sad. Maybe I've grown up and yesterday's flavor of romance no longer appeals or maybe something has changed. I don't know. I was just really sad. The hero isn't as dark and dangerous and I don't feel connected to the internal struggles of the heroine.

I am not going to give the author's name because I will always love her for her early work but I'm crying on the inside. I know that author's can't/don't want to write the same thing over and over. I totally get that. Actually, I want to get to that point where I'm screwing with reader expectations. I really want to love the work every time though.

In other news, I went for a job interview today. Keep your fingers crossed. I think I could be really happy with the position in terms of the work that I would get to do, the level of responsibility and... I would get to spend a lot of time writing. That's always a plus. I guess it's a double-edged sword because writing insurance or healthcare or mortgage copy can really drain your soul. But, I would be writing for a living.

Be careful what you wish for!

No comments: