Tuesday, September 9, 2008

It's Not About the Word Count

It's about calming that inner voice, that inner liar that is constantly inventing, weaving, fantasizing... Writing is about feeding the muse. She doesn't feed me. She doesn't have to. She would exist no matter what just to make me crazy. Writing is the only way I can put her to bed, shut her up, wrestle her down and get some peace for myself.

So I give her the page or she takes over my thoughts and doesn't let me focus on anything else. It's 2:35 am and I'm sitting at my desk. Couldn't sleep because the muse wanted to chat with me. Usually, I just listen and think, yeah, good one. Now let me get back to sleep and we can take this up at a more decent hour. But tonight, I gave in to her wishes and banged out 6 pages so far. It's now 4:15 am. I think I'll go back to bed now...

No comments: